Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Detour routes color coded in PA... ????
+ Reply to Thread

Detour routes color coded in PA... ????

Well, we have been out of town since Wed.... Warren's Dad passed.. not quite a year after his Mom passed.

But here is the thing.. on our way down and then on our way back we ran into signs all over marked "blue detoour route", "red detour route", green detour route" and then "orange detour route"...... Does anyone know what this could be about????? I put under gov/mil because I don't know what to put it under.... if a mod thinks it should have another prefix, let me know.

Thanks for any help those in PA can give me.
    Sandra
    You never build yourself up by putting someone else down..... quote.... my Gramma

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    "You cannot hurt your eyesight by looking on the bright side."

Um, yeah, I've seen them for a few years. I've asked around and no one seems to know what they mean. So, uh, if you find out, let me know. Sometimes, we don't even notice construction and wonder why there is a detour. But then, our state government can't pass a budget.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Green"]Do not follow where the path may lead -- Go instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail...rwe [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Green"]Blazin me own trail[/COLOR][/FONT]

Shamelessly borrowed from http://www.talkpa.net/new-color-code...t3908.html?amp;

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local...ith_color.html (this link no longer works)

PennDot targets tie-ups with color

By Art Carey
    Inquirer Staff Writer

PennDot's rule of thumb is that for every five minutes an incident slows or blocks traffic - whether it be a jackknifed tractor-trailer or a car fire - there is a half hour of lingering congestion.

To reduce tie-ups, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has begun erecting color-coded detour signs on highways and byways near interstates and expressways.
    Perhaps you've noticed them. The signs are rectangular with a white background, but the border, arrow and the word detour are one of several different colors - red, blue, green, brown and orange.

"The idea is that if there's an incident on the interstate or expressway, these signs will tell you where to get off and what route to follow to get back on," PennDot spokesman Charles Metzger said. "It's a way to get around the incident site."

PennDot began installing the signs last month. So far, about 200 have been erected in District Six, which encompasses Philadelphia and Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties.

By spring, about 500 signs will be in place on roads adjoining the exits of such local interstate highways as 95, 76, 476 and 676. In the next phase, to be completed by the fall, color-coded detour signs will be erected on local roads adjoining the exits of such limited-access expressways as 202, 422 and 309, Metzger said.

The colors of the signs have directional meaning, PennDot district traffic engineer Lou Belmonte said. Blue means north, red means south, green means east and orange means west. But in some areas alternate colors may be used, especially when detour routes overlap. "Nothing is etched in stone," Belmonte said.

It works like this: Say you're heading east on the Schuylkill Expressway and traffic has slowed because of an accident between the Belmont Avenue and City Avenue exits. Alerted by an electronic message sign or radio traffic report, you could get off the expressway at Belmont Avenue, where green detour signs would guide you along local roads back to the expressway at City Avenue, so you could continue your journey east.

"This is really an extension of the emergency-preparedness plans that were formulated after 9/11," Metzger said. "Our goal was to identify routes people could take not only in case of a major emergency or disaster, when people have to be moved in and out of areas quickly and efficiently, but also when a crash or winter storm forces the closing of an expressway or interstate."

Last Valentine's Day, a winter storm caused a monstrous tie-up on a 50-mile stretch of I-78 in eastern Pennsylvania, as well as on Interstates 81 and 80. Hundreds of motorists spent a frigid night in their vehicles, many without food or water, after the storm dumped a mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain.
    Authorities were criticized for not shutting entrance ramps sooner and directing motorists to alternative routes.
    Plans already were afoot to expand the state's system of color-coded detour signs, but that epic snafu, which embarrassed Pennsylvania and elicited an apology from the governor, underscored the necessity of the effort and added to its urgency, PennDot spokesman Steve Chizmar said.
    "To suffer is to survive. To bear it with grace and courage is to live." ---Ganesan, psychologist, Sri Lanka, January 6, 2005

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

See post above.
    You are right to question these signs.

Maybe our Governor and legislators need a color code to help them pass a budget on time? We're going on 3 months now without one...
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    See post above.
    You are right to question these signs.

Maybe our Governor and legislators need a color code to help them pass a budget on time? We're going on 3 months now without one...
    I didn't know that. I've just been ignoring them all these years because they didn't make any sense. That snowstorm was really bad. The state took a real beating on that. People were snowmobiling food and gas to whoever they could get to. That section of I-78 is in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the answers. Still gonna ignore them.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Green"]Do not follow where the path may lead -- Go instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail...rwe [/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Sligo View Post
    I didn't know that. I've just been ignoring them all these years because they didn't make any sense. That snowstorm was really bad. The state took a real beating on that. People were snowmobiling food and gas to whoever they could get to. That section of I-78 is in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the answers. Still gonna ignore them.
    I remember a snow storm like that in the early 70's on Thanksgiving when hwy 80 (or was it 81) was new. The Poconos were in the middle of no where in those days. Went to bed with no snow, woke up to snow to the top of our VW! We ran snowmobiles with blankets, food and coffee to the people stranded on the hwy.

deleted
    Dear atheists: If it wasn't G-d that gave you inalienable rights, then you should be looking out for the men that will take them away.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnGal View Post
    I remember a snow storm like that in the early 70's on Thanksgiving when hwy 80 (or was it 81) was new. The Poconos were in the middle of no where in those days. Went to bed with no snow, woke up to snow to the top of our VW! We ran snowmobiles with blankets, food and coffee to the people stranded on the hwy.

I was just a kid, but I remember that one. The power went out and we walked to my Grandmother's house because she had the old kitchen coal stove. Maybe you know the kind I'm talking about? They weigh about 5,000 lbs! (I'm exaggerating, but not by that much) We had cooked turkey that day despite not having electricity.
    (1 Cor. 8:1-2) : "We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know."

Having lived in Pittsburgh, they've had color designated routes since I can remember over 40 years ago. My grandfather was a truck driver. It was like a primitive interstate system of the best route to take to another major city. With the advent of freeways, they essentially became the detours if you didn't take the freeway. It sounds like they've taken the elements of that system and turned it into an official detour system.
    Tiger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39

Thank you for the answer.
    Sandra
    You never build yourself up by putting someone else down..... quote.... my Gramma

"The idea is that if there's an incident on the interstate or expressway, these signs will tell you where to get off and what route to follow to get back on," PennDot spokesman Charles Metzger said. "It's a way to get around the incident site."
    Just maybe (and I know I'm going WAYYY out on a limb here because its the government) they should TELL PEOPLE about the signs?
    Instead of making people guess and wonder what its all about...
    silly me...
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    —Plato

Quote Originally Posted by VesperSparrow View Post
    Just maybe (and I know I'm going WAYYY out on a limb here because its the government) they should TELL PEOPLE about the signs?
    Instead of making people guess and wonder what its all about...
    silly me...
    Now that would be a great idea! I've lived here for a year now and never even noticed that the detour signs were in different colors!
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by rcstew View Post
    Now that would be a great idea! I've lived here for a year now and never even noticed that the detour signs were in different colors!
    Don't feel bad. I've lived here 30 years, been driving 20, HAVE noticed the signs, wondered what the hell, and just kept driving. Welcome to PA!

Some more tips:

Pothole: Pa's spring welcome sign, or a way to know you're near home if you've been traveling. They really don't fix them.

Lancaster: BS outlets - drive 30 more minutes and come to VF in Wyomissing (Reading) REAL outlets

Road Construction: if they say it'll be done in Nov. 2009, they mean 2011.

State Legislature: Watch out for MIDNIGHT PAY RAISES!

Alcohol: Buy hard liquor from the STATE, beer by the case from DISTRIBUTORS ONLY, and 6 packs on Sunday from BARS that serve food only. (but they're trying to change that) I mean really, as a woman, do you want to walk alone into a bar on a Sunday to buy a 6 pack? (ps. I don't drink beer, but it's the principle)

There's more, but again, Welcome to Pa!

Don't feel bad. I've lived here 30 years, been driving 20, HAVE noticed the signs, wondered what the hell, and just kept driving. Welcome to PA!

Some more tips:

Lancaster: BS outlets - drive 30 more minutes and come to VF in Wyomissing (Reading) REAL outlets. I have been to the Lancaster outlets, and I wasn't very impressed with them, I will definitely check out VF.

Road Construction: if they say it'll be done in Nov. 2009, they mean 2011.

State Legislature: Watch out for MIDNIGHT PAY RAISES!

Alcohol: Buy hard liquor from the STATE, beer by the case from DISTRIBUTORS ONLY, and 6 packs on Sunday from BARS that serve food only. (but they're trying to change that) I mean really, as a woman, do you want to walk alone into a bar on a Sunday to buy a 6 pack? (ps. I don't drink beer, but it's the principle)
    I was wondering about this! So far the only alcohol I have purchased was wine, but the only things I understood was that you could only buy certain things from certain places, and that beer and hard liquor were not sold together. I had no idea how this worked! That may be why I have only purchased wine!
    There's more, but again, Welcome to Pa!
    Thanks! Now if I can just figure out the township rules! I am in West Manchester township, and there are so many caveats and idiosyncrasies that even something as simple as trash day is a complete headache!
    Cheryl

Lived in PA a few short years:

Bad PA road jokes:

What's Yellow & Sleeps Six?
    -- A Penn Dot Truck

The State Flag?
    -- Caution Flag

The State Animal?
    -- The Barrier Horse

The State Mineral?
    -- Asphalt

How do you know you entered into PA?
    -- The first pothole on the border is a doozie.
    "We have blown our chance: Instead of going into outerspace we have ventured into cyberspace" (c)2000 Ofuzzy1
    The fine print: Quoted items are used under the Fair Use Act for educational purposes. In other words: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcstew View Post
    Thanks! Now if I can just figure out the township rules! I am in West Manchester township, and there are so many caveats and idiosyncrasies that even something as simple as trash day is a complete headache!
    The easiest way is to NOT try to figure anything out. Our boro sends out a twice yearly newsletter that tells us stuff. We keep it. They give us recycling news that tells us what to do, like don't put out newspaper if its raining. We ignore it. Go to your twp to see if they have a "rules" newsletter. If not, ask neighbors. Nothing is simple here. Just do the best you can, and stay under the radar. Oh, and I think there may be new rules on where you can buy wine, but I'm not sure, lol. Used to be the State store only. Try our outlets, but DON'T come on a weekend during the holiday season!!!! That's when the buses come. Best bet is a Tuesday morning. Weird, but that's when us locals go.

This color coded signs have historically been for truckers. The various colors indicate an alternate route for overweight, or over-wide, or over-height loads.
    Go to Church. Pray.
    "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God. But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice" ....Psalm 68

Lancaster: BS outlets - drive 30 more minutes and come to VF in Wyomissing (Reading) REAL outlets
    Can you tell me what you mean by "VF".... I visit the area and would love to know of outlets... thanks
    Sandra