Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Recipes in a jar
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks so much for posting these recipes. I think a case of pretty jars filled with these recipes will be the perfect "prepper" Christmas presents for my non-prepper kids and friends.

These gifts are better than nagging, and may actually encourage them to do something in the kitchen other than putting fast food in the microwave (bleh! I never raised them that way!)

marieb
    While men consider what place to give Jesus in history, He has already decided what place to give them in eternity. - Leonard Ravenhill

Thought this needed a bump. I'm getting ready to make a bunch of mocha/hot chocolate/coffee mixes as gifts for our New Years Eve party...these recipes are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by oldladydoolin View Post
    Reading all of this reminded me that I have two books called "Make a mix" part one and part two. I need to find those books because they have a lot of great recipes to make and store for later.
    Did you find them? It would be great to add more reciipes to this list.

Bump, just because they are so awesome!
    "We have blown our chance: Instead of going into outerspace we have ventured into cyberspace" (c)2000 Ofuzzy1
    The fine print: Quoted items are used under the Fair Use Act for educational purposes. In other words: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

Holiday bump for those last minute prep gifts.

Whenever a Great Bipartisan Consensus is announced, and a compliant media assures everyone that the wondrous actions of our wise leaders are being taken for our own good, you can know with absolute certainty that disaster is about to strike. ~ Ron Paul

This thread is a real treasure trove! Thanks, everyone!

Love the Recipes!!!

I'm going to use a few 1-qt mayonnaise jars (plastic) for dry ingredient storage, and for some of the coffee drinks only, I'll use up a couple empty coffee canisters.

I dont have any jars (yet) but I can't wait to add some "mixes" to my preps. Even though I have a well-stocked pantry, sometimes I don't feel like cooking from scratch. Seems like getting out all the ingredients and measuring takes up a lot of time. This could speed me on my way. Mix together and GO!!!!

Thank you so much for posting these.

My mon also cans so this is a great help to our list! And she also makes her bread as well. Awesome thread!!!
    "I swear upon my pretty floral bonnet, if your hand touches metal I will end you!"

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!
    I've got my duck taped now what???
    God Bless
    MawMaw

Quote Originally Posted by bobwohl View Post
    Definately would like to get all of these saved and printed.
    Any idea of how to save all of these recipes to the computer??
    Thanks for the recipes. I have already tried a few, and would like to try more, but want it on paper. (lot of paper & toner!!!)
    An easy way to do it is go to file....save as...text only. Pick a location and that's it. Saves alot of cutting and pasting. Just saved the whole page in about 10 seconds. Great recipes btw.

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    ...I don't have any jars (yet) but I can't wait to add some "mixes" to my preps. ....
    I posted these on another site and someone pointed out that many of these mixes can be stored in various containers such as zip lock bags, empty store bought jars like pickle/mayo/jelly, etc.

I'm glad you are enjoying them.

ETA:
    oops! I just went back to look thru the recipes and discovered that it was Summerthyme who suggested using zip lock bags and to be sure and label them. I want to give credit to the right site and person.
    Last edited by lectrickitty; 02-16-2009 at 02:32 AM.

Whenever a Great Bipartisan Consensus is announced, and a compliant media assures everyone that the wondrous actions of our wise leaders are being taken for our own good, you can know with absolute certainty that disaster is about to strike. ~ Ron Paul

Bumping this up. We need all the help we can get these days. BTW these are great. Thanks.

Time - The Great Equalizer. We all have 24 hours. Use them well.
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

This made my day to see this! I love mixes. Thanks!
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” “If you have something to do tomorrow, do it today.”.....Benjamin Franklin

bump, awesome recipes.

Judy

Wow....awesome. Is there a recommended shelf life if stored in a jar...or in a zip lock bag? I would love to do several for preps.

Willow
    "A meow massages the heart." Stewart McMillan

Good to revisit this.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

This recipe section is amazing. Wow

Lectric - What a nice thing to do! These are awesome! Thanks you so much for sharing! I will save them all to a file today and then print out. I have several food storage type recipes I'm storing in a binder. Was thinking that this year I'll make up several copies and then give them to our kids as Christmas presents.

P.S. Could this maybe be posted on the main forum page? Seems like many would be interested! : )

Quote Originally Posted by momof23goats View Post
    I bake all of my quick breads, and chocolate cake in pint jars, seal them , and they will keep well for at least one year, as I have one jar left I canned last fall. it is a wonderful way to keep and store quick breads, hey, if ya got to shelter in place, you just might want t ohave some snacks that are better, then jerkey. oh I like jerkey, just get tireed of it. after a while. and a pint of 1/2 pint jar, or small jelly jar, will go a long ways to calm people. I can them in wide mouth only, and then i open then run a butter knife around the top, turn upside down and givce a hit, bread comes out, I slice it, and open some of my canned butter, and we have a treat, or some jam. yummy.
    Mom - I have heard of this before. How are you sealing and processing the jars and for how long?

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, you can turn many of the "in a jar" type mixes into "just add water" types by including the appropriate amount of dried egg, powdered milk, powdered butter, etc and then adjusting the needed liquid in the directions. You can do the same thing with most bread machine recipes.

HTH
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isn’t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?” - Kelvin R. Throop III

I would like the sealing procedure as well. Great idea on putting in powdered eggs, milk and butter in the jar. I so need more jars though!

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Wow....awesome. Is there a recommended shelf life if stored in a jar...or in a zip lock bag? I would love to do several for preps.

Willow
    I'm wondering the same thing Willow.
    Moses said to the children of Israel "pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised land". Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the promised land". Now Obama has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of camels, and mortgaged the promised land!

Quote Originally Posted by momof23goats View Post
    I bake all of my quick breads, and chocolate cake in pint jars, seal them , and they will keep well for at least one year, as I have one jar left I canned last fall. it is a wonderful way to keep and store quick breads, hey, if ya got to shelter in place, you just might want t ohave some snacks that are better, then jerkey. oh I like jerkey, just get tireed of it. after a while. and a pint of 1/2 pint jar, or small jelly jar, will go a long ways to calm people. I can them in wide mouth only, and then i open then run a butter knife around the top, turn upside down and givce a hit, bread comes out, I slice it, and open some of my canned butter, and we have a treat, or some jam. yummy.
    Wow, great idea. Do you have directions for canning bread in jars that you could post? I would really appreciate it!

Bump
    Deemy

Reminder:

These recipes don't have to be in jars, they can be saved in mylar bags, food saver, etc. Most of them can probably be doubled for large families or groups.

Some of the wet ingredients like milk, eggs, etc. can be added if you have freeze dried eggs or powdered milk to use. Be sure to add a note on your instructions for the extra water when you use the mix.

Since I posted them all those years ago, I have put a lot of them in food saver bags, then stored in buckets. I've also bought ingredients to make a lot of them that are not mixed, those ingredients are in mylar, in buckets.

Some really good recipes! Thanks and have copied them all out. Will have to try some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lectrickitty View Post
    These recipes don't have to be in jars, they can be saved in mylar bags, food saver, etc. Most of them can probably be doubled for large families or groups.

Some of the wet ingredients like milk, eggs, etc. can be added if you have freeze dried eggs or powdered milk to use. Be sure to add a note on your instructions for the extra water when you use the mix.

Since I posted them all those years ago, I have put a lot of them in food saver bags, then stored in buckets. I've also bought ingredients to make a lot of them that are not mixed, those ingredients are in mylar, in buckets.
    Just don't store any recipes with noodles or rice in them in bags of any sort. Noodles and rice will puncture your bags causing you to lose the seal. Jars are the go-to for storing rice and noodles long term in preparations such as this.
    The thing about common sense is, it is not so common any more
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

"SO......What's going on in the Land of WTF Just Happened?" ~ Mr. BurtonLake