Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Chinese tainted food factory bulldozed by owner!
+ Reply to Thread

Chinese tainted food factory bulldozed by owner!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...petfood10.html

(I don't care if it's a dupe - it needs its own thread).

Factory linked to tainted food found closed

By Don Lee and Abigail Goldman
    Los Angeles Times

XUZHOU, China -- Before Mao Lijun's business exported tainted wheat products that may have killed U.S. pets, his factory sickened people and plants around here for years.

Farmers in this poor rural area 400 miles northwest of Shanghai had complained to local government officials since 2004 that Mao's factory was spewing noxious fumes that made their eyes tear up and the poplar trees nearby shed their leaves prematurely. Yet no one stopped Mao's company from churning out bags of food powders and belching smoke -- until one day last month when, in the middle of the night, bulldozers tore down the facility.

It wasn't authorities that finally acted: Mao himself razed the brick factory -- days before the investigators from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration arrived in China on a mission to track down the source of the tainted pet food ingredients.

U.S. inspectors said Thursday the suspect facilities had been hastily closed down.

"There is nothing to be found. They are essentially shut down and not operating," said Walter Batts, deputy director of the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) office of international programs.

In the end, Chinese authorities caught up with Mao and arrested him. And Tuesday, after weeks of denials, China acknowledged that Mao's company and another Chinese business had illegally exported wheat and rice products spiked with melamine, a chemical used in making plastics and fertilizers. That chemical is banned in U.S. foods. in the U.S.

China's quality watchdog agency said the businesses had added melamine to the food ingredients "in a bid to meet the contractual demand for the amount of protein in the products." Melamine can make animal feed appear to have more protein than it actually does.

Besides turning up in pet food, melamine has been found in feed for thousands of hogs and millions of chickens in the United States. The FDA said Tuesday that melamine-contaminated foods also were fed to fish raised for human consumption. But in each case, U.S. officials said there was little risk to human health.

The number of U.S. fish hatcheries and farms known to have received the tainted feed rose sharply Thursday, with U.S. officials reporting about 60, up from 13 known Wednesday. That 60 included 23 in Oregon. The rest of the feed was shipped mostly to other Northwest states.

The FDA also said that although the tainted Chinese products were labeled as wheat gluten and rice protein, they were actually ordinary wheat flour -- with melamine and related nitrogen-rich compounds.

Melamine producers in China have said that melamine scrap, a cheaper form of the chemical, has been widely sold to entrepreneurs who use it to fool farmers into thinking that they were getting higher-nutrient animal feeds. Among the apparent buyers of melamine scrap were Mao, head of Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development, and Binzhou Futian Biology Technology.

Liu Zhaoyi, 64, a farmer who lives next to Mao's now-demolished factory, recalled seeing globs of white and yellowish scrap, which may have included melamine, piled in the yard behind the plant. One season after rains, Liu said, water with residue from the compound flowed into his family's cornfields and killed the crops.

Few people in town, which has a large food-manufacturing industry, seemed to know what Mao's factory made.

An Environment Protection Bureau official in Pei county, which is a part of Xuzhou, said one of his colleagues had visited Mao's facility in recent years when it was processing yeast and wheat. The inspection did not turn up any serious violations, and neighbors were told to complain to a court or another agency.

In recent days, Mao's company removed wheat gluten from the product offerings on its Web site. It also deleted something called ESB protein powder.

Xuzhou Anying had advertised the powder as its "latest researched, developed and produced" item and touted it as "a new way to solve the problem of shortage of protein resource." Several people with experience in China's food industry say such powders are invariably made with melamine.

Researchers believe another compound -- cyanuric acid -- also may have been added to the pet-food ingredients by Chinese firms or formed as a byproduct. Combined with melamine, cyanuric acid can form crystals and blocking kidney function in some animals.

China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said Tuesday that Xuzhou Anying and Binzhou Futian had evaded quality checks by labeling their products as exports not subject to inspection.

Farmer Liu said it was a shame officials failed to heed earlier complaints. "If they had done more, this company won't have such a big problem."

The Seattle Times staff, The Washington Post and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Must had some real bad Feng Shui.
    Thus let me live, unseen, unknown; thus unlamented let me die; steal from the world, and not a stone tell where I lie.

The best place to be in the event of a nuclear explosion is anywhere you can say: "what the hell was that!?!"
    ><>
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Men are NOT interested in what God has to say - but what they would rather believe themselves (shamelessly stolen from INVAR).
    <><
    "...no one can jump into the arms of God.
    Oh, no. You have to fall."

Ahh, global capitalism at its finest. I'm waiting for all the TB globalists to chime in here, in support of that factory. After all, he was just in it for a PROFIT... right?

Southerngal: Somebody's trying to hide the evidence. Odds are something even more neferious than just poisoning pets was going on there that the Chinese Gov't didn't want the FDA to see. My guess is they paid him to bulldoze the building, giving them plausable deniablity in whatever monkey business they were really up to.

If I were the USDA, I'd be checking ALL food and Drug products coming in from China for tampering, illegal additives, etc. and if necessary deny all food and drug shipments from China until they get their act together.

What if this was a trial balloon by the Chinese Gov't to see if they could contaminate our food supply with something that would make everyone so sick we couldn't defend ourselves, then they could just waltz right in and take over!

Fleataxi

My guess is that this is, as Dennis is alluding to, Capitalism run amok.

And if Bejing is now admitting the guy did this, then I'd imagine life is pretty unpleasant for him right about now. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him put to death soon.

Capitalism is doing a world of good for China, but there needs to be some oversite, obviously.

The Chinese government really isn't set up for oversite. For one thing the provinces don't really see Beijing as having much authority over what they do (think of the U.S. long before the civil war, only much moreso), and for another there is too much corruption so you'd just pay the oversee'ers off and do what you wanted anyway.

China, IMO, is currently where the US was in the 40's WRT environmental issues and product safely. And it will take at least 20 years for them to get a handle on those issues, IF NOT LONGER (because it IS China after all). Does NOT bode well for ChiCom imported food products....

My own suspicious nature is agreeing with Fleataxi here, at least as far as there being more going on than we'll ever know. Somehow though I don't think this guy is going to be around much longer. I doubt the Chinese govt. was helping him, not really anyway.

I still think there is a high probability that this was a military probe to see how far they could contaminate our food supply before we catch it. The Chinese are not our friends. Very little is done in China that is not directly controlled by the Central Government. Does anyone seriously believe that exports on this scale would not be reviewed, approved and inspected by some government funtionary?

And why in Heaven's name is the United States of America importing food from Communist China? Or anything else for that matter?

Sooth
    EPHESIANS 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I wonder if the USA could survive as an isolationist country?

We'd just stop all imports and live on our own means...

Nah...we can't produce anything anymore...unless we pay our workers $30 / hour and then inflation would go through the roof.

warren.
    [img]http://www.timebomb2000.com/Mbrs_pics/redstarsm.gif[/img][b]To some G-d calls in a whisper, to others with a shout--depending on how close they are to Him.[/b]
    Rabbi Nachman of Breslov

Warren: All we'd have to do to get the manufacturing companies back is to slap a 100% tarrif on all imported goods manufactured by Ex-US companies, and tell them until they relocate ALL their manufacturing and admin to the US, they can kiss our markets goodbye!

It's called "Guerilla Consumerism"

Fleataxi

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    Very little is done in China that is not directly controlled by the Central Government. Does anyone seriously believe that exports on this scale would not be reviewed, approved and inspected by some government funtionary?
    Ummm, you are so far off here it's almost roll in the floor funny.

Think back to the "wild wild west" days in the U.S. Back when snake oil salesmen could sell what they wanted without really worrying about getting into legal trouble for it. Back when most of the laws on the books had to do with not robbing someone or stealing their horse. That is where China is.

The cultural revolution was over a long time ago - they are no longer set up to be in everyone's business. They are hands off as long as they don't think you are staging a revolution against the government.

Why would China wish to poison their best customers?

The business from America is powering their economy and the way things are going fiscally here in the US they will hold the mortgage on our country soon.

No, this is not a move by the Red Chinese but of the uncontrolled businessmen taking advantage of our corporations who have no conscience.

Remember, all this material going into the products sold here in America was put in by our manufacturers. Did they not have any quality controls in place to check these unbelievably cheap ingredients from Chinese suppliers?

don

Did they not have any quality controls in place to check these unbelievably cheap ingredients from Chinese suppliers?

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainedLightning View Post
    Ummm, you are so far off here it's almost roll in the floor funny.
    Think back to the "wild wild west" days in the U.S. Back when snake oil salesmen could sell what they wanted without really worrying about getting into legal trouble for it. Back when most of the laws on the books had to do with not robbing someone or stealing their horse. That is where China is.
    The cultural revolution was over a long time ago - they are no longer set up to be in everyone's business. They are hands off as long as they don't think you are staging a revolution against the government.
    Possible that you are quite correct. Possible that it is just the corruption and corporate greed in our own country that allows such as this to enter our country and poison our pets and our people.

Sooth
    EPHESIANS 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleataxi View Post
    Southerngal: Somebody's trying to hide the evidence. Odds are something even more neferious than just poisoning pets was going on there that the Chinese Gov't didn't want the FDA to see. My guess is they paid him to bulldoze the building, giving them plausable deniablity in whatever monkey business they were really up to.

If I were the USDA, I'd be checking ALL food and Drug products coming in from China for tampering, illegal additives, etc. and if necessary deny all food and drug shipments from China until they get their act together.

What if this was a trial balloon by the Chinese Gov't to see if they could contaminate our food supply with something that would make everyone so sick we couldn't defend ourselves, then they could just waltz right in and take over!

Fleataxi

I haven't had the time to research this but was told by a friend that baby food manufacturers are undergoing some extensive testing due to the chinese whey product that was used in them and the chemical cyan....... that was found. As others have stated......................alot of evidence was just destroyed for fear that the scope of this is way beyond pet food contamination.

If I had a baby right now I'd be chewing their food for them! Commercial baby food would not pass their lips!