Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 71, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

(OT) Just had a huge Meteor/Fireball over ocean & Bright Flashes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

(OT) Just had a huge Meteor/Fireball over ocean & Bright Flashes

From what I saw it was very bright flashes to the north behind the fireball. We never got to see what was SO lit up besides the Fireball going South. It was only about a min. or 2. Renter & I were outside. I had just driven home from the store in town. Damn, a few min. later (5) I would have been on 101 & seen the whole damn show. Anybody else see this?

It was 7:40-7:42 PM or so. Sat. 3/12, night. (A few min. ago from me typing this).

OK...gotta ask.

Could this be related to all those swarming earthquakes out there?

See...somebody had to ask....

Is it a forwarning that perhaps the Juan de Fuca plate is about to shift? Is it Tsunami time for the Oregon coast??? What you saw would have me very concerned.

I know I shouldn't, but up on GLP they're saying a huge green streak with accompanying earthquake in Olympia...Seattle...TV channel went off the air....

This sounds like it's developing....
    TIK--keeping it real since 1862. Er....ummm....1966. Sorry. Got carried away. :-)

This is breaking info about what appears to be the same event -- was just posted on the the 'unmentionable' forum.

Would that CBS station be in your region?

Quote:

***Breaking News: Seattle~All Of Western Washington***
    Mrdjs7 12077
    3/12/05 11:24 pm EST

About a half an hour ago, The local CBS station went off air (Channel 7), There was an EarthQuake Mag. 2.9 towards the Olympia area and there have been a swarm of reports of a "Green Light" Streaking from North to South which crashed somewhere South of Olympia Washington. It was seen towards the Canadian border when it was first spotted.

The local CBS channel went immediately off air briefly then, came back on with only a color screen (When a channel is off air).

More to come.

--------------------------

Mrdjs7 11:25 pm EST
    Reports from Aberdeen Washington coming in that it was spotted down there also.

Just called my in-laws in Gig Harbor Washington which is about 30 mins north of Olympia...they didn't feel anything nor see anything...told them to turn on the TV...something is breaking up there...

KIRO carrying it...
    TIK--keeping it real since 1862. Er....ummm....1966. Sorry. Got carried away. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TIK
    Just called my in-laws in Gig Harbor Washington which is about 30 mins north of Olympia...they didn't feel anything nor see anything...told them to turn on the TV...something is breaking up there...

KIRO carrying it...
    LINK?

Pugent Sound 3.3 EQ

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqs...uw03130337.htm

Magnitude 3.3 - PUGET SOUND REGION, WASHINGTON
    2005 March 13 03:37:47 UTC
    Preliminary Earthquake Report
    Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

A minor earthquake occurred at 03:37:47 (UTC) on Sunday, March 13, 2005. The magnitude 3.3 event has been located in the PUGET SOUND REGION, WASHINGTON. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Magnitude 3.3
    Date-Time Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 03:37:47 (UTC)
    = Coordinated Universal Time
    Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 7:37:47 PM
    = local time at epicenter

Location 47.263°N, 122.859°W
    Depth 26.5 km (16.5 miles) set by location program
    Region PUGET SOUND REGION, WASHINGTON

Distances 11 km (7 miles) S (189°) from Allyn-Grapeview, WA
    18 km (11 miles) W (277°) from Fox Island, WA
    18 km (11 miles) WSW (257°) from Artondale, WA
    19 km (12 miles) ENE (73°) from Shelton, WA
    30 km (19 miles) W (275°) from Tacoma, WA
    57 km (35 miles) SW (225°) from Seattle, WA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles); depth fixed by location program
    Parameters Nst= 40, Nph= 42, Dmin=17 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp=137°,
    M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
    Source Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

Event ID uw03130337

That is my home plate and I didn't feel or see anything.

TIK I'm in Gig Harbor too.

jmh

Here in Olympia, WA- didn't feel anything, didn't see anything, but suspecting a bigger shake on the way- the off shore stuff is making me nervous-

We didn't see, hear or feel anything either, not far from Oly. Weird stuff going on. The webicorders felt it. KIRO going off air, is just too strange! IJM

I saw a large green shooting shooting star here in east texas last night. It looks like it burned up long before hitting the ground but it was very bright. The streak it left took about 10 seconds to dissipate.

OK...so let's get straight on this because the timeline is confusing...the EQ is seperate and apart from the meteor? Yes?

TIk....that is what the radio just now said. It said that there was a meterorite tonight, and that at about the same time, there was an earthquake also, over near Gig Harbor. IJM

OK....I guarantee that my in-laws (transplanted Californians that KNOW earthquakes) didn't feel a thing...

MAN...you wanna talk about getting me all riled up...it was WHACKED to see this break on GLP and TB2K simultaneously....awesome network of folks...

Didn't hear a thing. HUGE lit up sky to north tho.......mountain in way of seeing WTF it was. Then the fireball was out over ocean at the same time, so was WAY ahead of the brightness. It flickered the whole sky above mountain about 4-5 times at the same time we could see the huge fireball. It was really orange at the middle & renter said that was "copper content". Navy guy, so I don't know.

Exactly at 7:40-42 PM.............different time from EQ's also.

Huge happenings in town so everyone was inside the school auditorium. I will check around tomorrow. I don't see how some of the places (restaurants) down on 101 didn't have a heck of a show for sure tonight.

I am on the Southern Border of Oregon so if it was the same fireball/meteor...........it didn't land, but was fairly low by the time it got down here.

BTW, we don't usually even feel the EQ's north & south of us off the coast. Even the other day's 5.2 and 5.0 or whatever.

Colour:
    The colour of light produced depends upon the composition of the meteorite. Iron particles produce yellow light; sodium particles produce orange-yellow light; magnesium produces a blue-green light and silicon atoms produce red light. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/meteors/

I've seen red, orange and yellow streaks but not green. Hmmmm..a magnesium meteor?

Greywolff Guest
    Is the TV station back on the air?

SEATTLE - A flaming object was spotted streaking through the night sky across Western Oregon, Washington and reportedly as far south as northern California.

Hundreds of Washington residents called the KOMO news desk to report seeing a bright green object streak across the sky just before 8 p.m.

Summer Jensen of Portland said she was sitting in her living room with her father when she saw the flash of light outside and rushed to see what it was.

She said the object appeared to be moving slowly compared to a typical meteor, or "shooting star."

Callers as far north as Vancouver, British Columbia reported seeing the flash.

Officials with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Seattle said the description was consistent with a meteor hitting the upper levels of the Earth´s atmosphere. They do not believe the object made it to the ground.

NO LINK.......Sorry

deja are you saying it took one to two minutes to cross the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by deja
    SEATTLE - A flaming object was spotted streaking through the night sky across Western Oregon, Washington and reportedly as far south as northern California.

Hundreds of Washington residents called the KOMO news desk to report seeing a bright green object streak across the sky just before 8 p.m.

Summer Jensen of Portland said she was sitting in her living room with her father when she saw the flash of light outside and rushed to see what it was.

She said the object appeared to be moving slowly compared to a typical meteor, or "shooting star."

Callers as far north as Vancouver, British Columbia reported seeing the flash.

Officials with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Seattle said the description was consistent with a meteor hitting the upper levels of the Earth´s atmosphere. They do not believe the object made it to the ground.

NO LINK.......Sorry

The link is www.komotv.com

If it didn't hit the ground I wonder why there was an earthquake?

Coincidence? That's just very strange, maybe they, whoever "they" are, will figure it out by tomororow? Or never? IJM

Where's Aussie Bloke when we need him?

I am in southern Oregon.. but wasen't outside at the time.

do you know how many miles you can see no. & so. when at sea level??? Unobstructed, except for the mountain to the North (which is on land). Could have traveled 50 miles maybe in that 1-2 min.

I am not seeing any Oregon EQ's either.

Renter & I just for a minute (1 WHOLE MINUTE) thought that TSHTF and we were at war shooting missles at NK or something.............
    Last edited by deja; 03-13-2005 at 01:56 AM.

26. Wow there's a bunch of us in the Gig harbor area isn't there?

I felt the quake, wasn't much of a quake I thought the cat jumped on the couch or something.

Missed the meteor entirely.

Apparently they (and the power outage and TV outage 1 minute later...) were all unrelated...

I've seen two fireballs this year, the big one that got all the press last summer and another that got no press at all. missed this one.

Sure seems like there's a lot of these things lately...

Silverback, I'm in Gig Harbor according to the Post office, but actually in Purdy.

We were quietly watching TV when the "QUAKE ALERT" I bought started going crazy alerting us about an earthquake that neither of us felt. I'm glad I bought it now. It was only $29, but well worth it.
    What are you going to pay for it? I can probably get it for you cheaper, ask me.

Thread drift...I LOVE Gig Harbor/Purdy area...if I could move up there I would...in a heart beat...very "cozy" on that side of the bridge...

i'm sure this was all connected and orchastrated by Steven Speilberg to promote his War of the Worlds movie!
    Visit my weight loss marketing page http://redorman.le-vel.com/

hey! aren't klingon disruptors green?
    The only rights we have are the ones we're willing to fight for.

CHEGH-chew jaj-VAM jaj-KAK!

Now this is interesting, found on another board....

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_111732929
    Shake, rattle and glow: will strange lights in the sky shed light on earthquake prediction? - Earth
    One night in 1999, the sky above Izmit, Turkey, came alive with floating balls of light. The following day, a huge earthquake hit the city.

In 1995, in Kobe, Japan, residents reported seeing orange-white flashes in the sky shortly before an earthquake, shook the region. Others observed a bluish glow before, during, and after the same quake.

In 1976, in Tangshan, China, bizarre flashes of light and fireballs in the sky woke slumbering residents. The next night, an earthquake destroyed the city and killed 255,000 people.

also..........

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF0/083.html

Alaska Science Forum
    April 3, 1978

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earthquake Lights
    Article #83

by T. Neil Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This column is provided as a public service by the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, in cooperation with the UAF research community. T. Neil Davis is a seismologist at the institute.

When scientists are skeptical about the existence of reported phenomena, they often try to cover up under a layer of humor. Such an attempt by one seismologist led him to remark that "the chapter on earthquake lights is the darkest in seismology."

No longer does this subject lurk in the shadows of scientific skepticism. Among the more illuminating observations that have brought this topic out into the scientific light of day are those acquired by a Japanese dentist. He managed to photograph earthquake lights occurring during a ten-year earthquake swarm starting in 1965.

While seismologists are not yet certain of the cause of earthquake lights, they now are highly interested. Not only is it certain that earthquakes can cause lights in the sky; it seems possible that the lights sometimes occur before earthquakes and so serve as warning precursors.

One of the more logical explanations of the cause of earthquake lights is the piezoelectric effect. Certain materials, including quartz, respond to changes in pressure by changes in electrical voltage across their surfaces. The idea is that, as quartz-bearing rocks are stressed, they might produce such high voltages that lightning-like discharges could occur in the air above.

Earthquake lights have been described as looking like auroral streamers diverging from a point on the horizon. Beams like those from a searchlight have been reported. Other reports describe sheets or circular glowing regions, either touching the ground or in detached clouds above ground.

The lights seem to show up best during the time of the main shock of an earthquake and also before and after. From a practical viewpoint, the lights before an earthquake seem most interesting since they shed light on the occurrence of the next large earthquake.

So far, no earthquake lights have been reported in Alaska.

Interesting, no?

1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.

Yep, interesting.

I will point out that Japan is much more densely populated than Alaska and therefore any phenomena would have a higher chance of being viewed.
    Last edited by astrogirl; 03-13-2005 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

Yike! That would be something if somehow people were given a warning on the west coast to batten down the hatches.

They did mention on the news last night that the quake and meteor happening at the same time was kind of strange.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...gonian?EXCLUDE

Green fireball streaks over Northwest
    The object amazes observers in Oregon and Washington, but no "land hit" has been reported
    Sunday, March 13, 2005
    FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

A spectacular fireball streaked across the Northwest sky Saturday. The bright green flash lighted the sky as it fell "like a Roman candle," according to witnesses from Bend to Kent, Wash.

Members of the largest amateur astronomy club in the Northwest, gathered on a ridge on the Warm Springs Reservation for a star party, were stunned by the fireball's appearance, which they recorded at 7:43 p.m. and 7:44 p.m.

"It was very bright fluorescent green with a shell of yellow around it and slight tail," said Robert McGown, a member of the Rose City Astronomers. The object was brighter than the crescent moon, McGown and other astronomers said. The flash appeared in the western sky, and after it dropped below the horizon, sent up at least three bright flashes.

"When it came down, it split and the shock waves made this spectacular show that lasted 1.5 seconds," McGown said. "The only sound was of people screaming. It was so bright and so huge. Usually you hear oohs and ahhs -- this was hysterics."

The Federal Aviation Administration's regional office in Renton, Wash., fielded reports of a fireball from the Tri Cities to Puget Sound. Spokesman Michael O'Connor confirmed that the falling object was not a plane and that there had been no reports of a "land hit."

Dick Pugh, with the Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory in Portland, said the fireball streaked from south to north and east to west. He said it appeared to break up over the Pacific Ocean. He said the fireball could either be a "good-size rock" entering the Earth's atmosphere or a satellite burning up. There was an unconfirmed report that a satellite was scheduled to re-enter Saturday.

Melinda Hutson, another expert at the lab, said meteors large enough to turn into fireballs are uncommon. To get a fireball, it has to be "a big piece of rock or metal -- most are pieces of asteroids," Hutson said. "Once every once in a while, a piece of the moon or Mars breaks off."

Astronomer Jim Todd, planetarium director at the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry, said that if the meteor had entered the atmosphere during the daytime, it may not even have been noticed.

"It creates a bright contrast against the night sky," Todd said.

A sheriff's deputy in Grays Harbor County, Wash., told the FAA he believed it had hit the water there. Others reported seeing the fireball disappear behind the Three Sisters Mountains in Central Oregon.

Kelly Brest was driving from her home in Kent, Wash., to a convenience store to pick up dinner when a streak of bright light ignited in front of her windshield. "It looked like it was right in front of me." She continued to drive, following the path of the fireball as it crossed to the west, finally falling out of view. "It looked like it landed right behind the Ford dealership," she said.

Staff writer Julie Sullivan and correspondent Matthew Preusch of The Oregonian and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Green burning meteors are copper based. Do this simple test to see. Strip the insulation from a piece of electrical wire and burn the wire. It will give off green flames.

Hmm, copper is one of the metals used to cover the lead in bullets(full metal jacket). Soooo, who's shooting at us????!!!!
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

Earthquake lights are not the same as this. This was a meteorite streaking across hundreds if not thousands of miles.

Earthquake lights as posted above just kinda float around.

38. Aintitfunny,

I'm down the Keypen highway a few miles, near Home.

It is cozy on this side of the bridge, the problem is getting to this side of the bridge from the other side of the bridge.

Thank you Deja

I DON'T report the dozens of personal reports of fireballs and meteors falling that I come across, including many "over there" that sound as sincere and credible as your report.

So, those I have reported on my meteors of 2005 thread - I am sure - are just the tip of the iceburg of those that are actually being seen.

Had I or anyone else posted a personal siting like the one you saw, without it being a member here, I am sure it would have been debunked quickly.

Something to keep in mind. It doesn't have to come from NASA to be real and it doesn't have to be USDA Stamped to be real.
    www.restartyl.com/donnorth

Dang! I missed ANOTHER one! I didn't see the big one on June 3, 2004 either. Geez, I really have to get out of my apartment more often ....