Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ADMIN For you new folks - "Stuff" you need to know!
+ Reply to Thread

For you new folks - "Stuff" you need to know!

Okay, since we have so many new folks, it's time once again for one of the "What you need to know to make life more enjoyable on TB" threads.

FAQ's that you really need to know:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/TB2K_FAQS.htm

Board rules:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/TB2K_Rules2.htm

Why the staff takes action:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109252

vB-specific FAQ's:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/faq.php

How do you get a picture (Avatar) under your username?

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/faq.p..._vb_avatar_how

How to clean out your PM box properly:

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...threadid=22682

-------------------------------

Now, some specific issues:

You can EDIT your own posts for 24 hours. After that, a staff member must do it.

You may NOT delete a post or thread, or MOVE a thread.

(These settings are to help preserve the "flow" of threads and posts. In times past, we've had people post inflammatory stuff which generated a HUGE outcry. Then they simply deleted their posts and claimed "Who, ME? I didn't do NUTTIN!")

The "Thread owner" is the person who started the thread. As a thread owner, one has a few "extra rights". You can request that a thread be locked, deleted or moved. You can ask for folks that might attempt to hijack your thread to STOP IT, and can take that request to the staff if you want.

Note about the main room (here) and the SIGs (Special Interest Groups):

The main room is primarily for news and current events, and personal preparation threads. While there is WIDE latitude given, you may find some of your threads MOVED if they fall outside of that main criterion. Sometimes a REDIRECT is left on the board (it's a reference link; when you click it, you are taken to the thread's actual location.) Sometimes, however, no redirect is provided. You can find your thread via the SEARCH link above the threads and to the right.

How to see other rooms:

There are several ways to see the other room "index". One way is to <!-- click on the <b>Watching the World Tick Away</b> grapic above and to the left of the threads. Another is to --> click on the "thread path", which is a string of text that might look like:

Timebomb 2000 > Public Area > Timebomb2000 > MyThread

Clicking on the "Timebomb 2000" text on the far LEFT will also take you to the index.

Additionally, you can use the FORUM JUMP window (located above and to the left, or below and to the right of the threads). That can take you INSTANTLY anywhere on the forum.

If you have any questions, you can post them to this thread. There are MANY here who are more than willing to assist you.

How to post an IMAGE to a thread:

Graphic images can live in two places - on your PC, or on a server somewhere on the 'net. You can ATTACH a picture to a post from your PC, by using the ATTACHMENT window under the text-entry box when you post. (Click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button.) Use the BROWSE button to find the pic on your PC, then click UPLOAD to attach it. You may have up to 5 images per post. Once the image’s filename appears in the window, you can click CLOSE to return to the posting screen.

Bear in mind that you are using THE FORUM'S BANDWIDTH to display that pic (and since TB2K exists on member donations, we ALL pay for that!!) Please keep that in mind. In addition to a $-cost, the images slow down the server as hundreds of people open the thread and view the image. (Our "post your pics for fun" thread is a perfect example; every time it resurfaces, server performance drops to a crawl. )

The other way to post them is when they already exist on a server somewhere. Then you do the following:

- Pull up the image

- Right-click on the image

- Select PROPERTIES

- Hilite the image's URL, then right-click on the hilited text, and click COPY

- In your post here on TB, make sure the text-entry cursor is blinking in the entry-box, and hit CTRL-V (paste), and the URL will magically appear in the post.

- Enclose the URL with "[ img] [ /img]" vB tags (I've added spaces in the tags so you can see them; remove the spaces before using.)

So your URL would look like:

[ img]http://www.MyImageURL.com[ /img]

Again, make SURE the spaces are removed from the tags.

This method has several advantages. For one, the bandwidth is NOT ours, but that of the site where the graphic originates. Additionally, our server is NOT slowed down by loading, since the actual image is pulled from its original server.

What do the little arrows on the envelopes to the far left of the thread title mean?

The little arrow at the right edge of the envelope lets you know that you have replied to that thread. The larger right-facing arrow over the top of an envelope means the thread has been moved.

The color of the envelopes changes from pale to a brighter color when that thread is “hot”. A hot thread is one that has lots of replies or views.

How do I search?

Search is done by clicking the SEARCH text above the threads. That allows a “simple search”. Clicking the ADVANCED SEARCH text takes you to the detailed search window, where many more options can be specified. The upper SEARCH text-link is a “global” search (all forums), whereas the lower SEARCH text-link is for the forum (or thread) you’re currently in. Selecting that one will decrease system resource use, so I recommend it.

What is “Quick Links”?

QUICK LINKS is a mini-menu that drops down when you click on it. The options are:

- Mark Forums Read (marks every thread as read)

- Open Buddy List (if you want to PM a buddy)

- Edit Signature (quick edit of your SIG-line)

- Edit Avatar (change you avatar)

- Edit Profile

- Edit Options

- Private Messages (manage private messages)

- Subscribed Threads (see/manage threads that you’ve asked for a email notification on)

- My Profile (view your public profile)

- Who’s On-line (What’s everyone doing?)

NOTE: Since the board software upgrade on 3/6/11, some of the procedures are no longer correct. I’ll take care of that soon.

Thanks for reading.

We also have an IRC chat server, so you can join in on realtime conversations with other TBers.

Better still, we have a java-applet chat system that can connect to it, so you can use that instead of having to download an IRC client. Chat via web browser!

The chat is an invaluable tool as well - if the board's swamped or overloaded or just plain down the chat comes alive as a place to get up-to-the-second info in real time. We even have an emergency system in place for using the chat as a real-time news source in the event of Something Very Bad™.

Look wa-a-a-ay up to the top-left of each TB window for a link to the chat server. There you'll find info, instructions, the java chat applet, even a custom-packaged mIRC client program to download if the applet doedn't work for you.

oO, one of the regular chat goons...
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Any religion-related posts I make are as a member and not as a forum staffer, and are not intended to promote any specific agenda or doctrinal understanding as official or unofficial board policy. Official staff actions on my part will always be clearly marked as such.

Deja moo - the feeling you've seen this bull before...

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Found a typo above...

Hello,
    I've heard about your site from one of your Moderators.
    In reading some of the requested/required reading, I have found the following typo...
    Edit Avatar (change you avatar)
    I think you meant to type your instead of you.

Kriya Yogi dwelling in enchanted land of Cascadia
    Timbo will warn you about which jello to jiggle, which red pill is dissolved in which combo, which one is Kool-Aid based, etc

And the chat system is NOT up and running, so Dennis MIGHT want to fix OddOne's out-dated post.

Dennis IS working on a chat system which uses vb software.

Beefs like "Where'd my thread go?" or "What happened to my post?" should be handled using the Private Message feature, which you need to actually activate in your "User CP". We like to keep that sort of stuff 'twixt thee and the MODs. They may not be fast, or flexible, or transparent but they're the best in the biz at letting things get aired and keeping things from getting TOO crazy.

We also suggest that you check your Spiderman (or Hello Kitty) Underoos at the door, pull on your Hanes BigBoy (BigGirl) panties before you get active. You WILL need to have a fairly thick skin to be happy.

Now, go jump in.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

I have changed some of the links to reflect the new software. I'll need to work on this a little more over time. And I am researching Chat software which will be 100% integrated into our forum software. I THINK I've found a good candidate, but I haven't taken action because of the performance issues and the disaster in Japan. One thing at a time, you know?

Just wondering how many posts or whatever I need before I can see "take it outside" or "the bomb shelter". Thanks!

Thank you. I hope this one stays up where we can see it in time going forward. And Odd One, I think your hairstyle is very stylish :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Just wondering how many posts or whatever I need before I can see "take it outside" or "the bomb shelter". Thanks!
    Unless things have changed while I was napping under the rock, all you need to do to see those fora is be logged in, with the "remember me" box clicked....
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

No Night Driver, I have not been able to get to the Bomb Shelter in a long time. One of the mods told me it was because I did not post enough. But they could not say how many post you have to have to get in the B Shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    200, I think.

These days, there is a requirement that each member establish a "forum presence" via a posting history, before access to the Bomb Shelter or TIO. While we never really did establish the exact number required, the 200 figure is roughly what it might take to do so. In times past, a lot of the UB haters established multiple personas here on the forum in case their primary were ever banned. These additional memberships were never used, but were a "lifeboat" for them (so to speak) when their disgusting behavior would get them banned.

These people would go into the other rooms and copy and paste threads from there to UB's, in order for them to have something to deride.

During the last round of navel-gazing, it was thought that establishing a minimum forum presence (so that the staff could get a feel for the member's personality) prior to granting access would perhaps aid in diminishing that kind of thing. So that's why it takes some time and PARTICIPATION on the forum before a person can gain access to those rooms.

Well I usually don't feel like I have a lot of meaningful comments to add, so it may take me forever to get back to the Bomb Shelter.

There's another way, though one abhorred by most all TBers (heh).

You can PM me REAL WORLD contact information, such as your real name, address, a "real" phone (not a prepaid anonymous tracfone or something similar). Bottom line, in order to keep the hater crap to a minimum, I need to know who you are and be able to verify it via phone call or the like. I put that data in a folder and you get access. BUT - I'd give careful consideration as to whether or not anyone would want to give up that kind of data.

Thanks Dennis, I am not worried about it. I was just wondering. I am sure I will get there at some point.

bumping for the night crowd, and also to add a question or two:

is chat working now?

backups? i had it on my last computer but it crashed. tried to get into another but it doesn't recognize my user name/password, and now i dont have the addy for sure since i moved to firefox. i be stumped

tia any help. its darn frustrating but the older i get, the less i got it! trying to play catch up!

Multiple people have asked for chat. I said that when we migrated to vB 4.x that I'd install chat software that was based on your member login data. That would keep non-members out and give us some privacy. When I went over to vbulletin.org and researched chat add ons compatible with 4.x, the only offerings I found were, um, "in development" still. I decided to wait until the offerings were more mature. I'll check back over there soon and see what progress has been made.

Late Night Bump
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dennis I am pretty sure I gave my address and phone # to you a few years ago. My user name was the same then too. Then for some reason my passwork stopped working and had to get a new one. You may not still have that info, but if you do, nothing has changed.

New Member Check-in

Hello all of you TB2K members! I am a new member but a loooooooong time
    lurker, all the way back from Y2K days. I found the old board looking for info about Y2K and have been reading and learning from all of you ever since then. I just want to thank Dennis and everyone for keeping this forum going. I've learned so much from all of your and those that have since passed on into eternity. This board is educational, entertaining and also enlightening. I am shy about using social media and posting but with all of the " Grab you by the throat " headlines out there I thought it was about time to join in so.... here goes!

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to check in. I have been lurking for over ten years. I think it may have around the September 11 attacks. The recent events have made me more interedted in participating, but I have never posted anywhere, EVER. Let me know when I make boo-boos!